Shirodhara is one of Ayurveda’s most well known body treatments. It is very effective and has a great impact on the nervous system. During pregnancy, shirodhara can be so helpful, as it directly and immediately helps in calming, relaxing and cleansing your mind and nerves.
**Each person will be screened prior to scheduling this service to make sure it is appropriate for them.**
Shirodhara can be effective helping those who:
- Suffer from nervous system issues
- Suffer from stress
- Suffer from anxiety
- Feel Fatigued and tired
- Have hypertension or high blood pressure
- Have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Suffer from insomnia
- Experience hair loss
What happens during the session?
1. Prior to the session, your practitioner will determine your Ayurvedic constitution, by a pulse, tongue and health analysis.
2. Your session begins with a 10-15min relaxing and luxurious head massage using appropriate oils for your specific body.
3. You will receive marma (acupressure point) therapy massage on your legs (10min)
4. For some, you may need a full body massage prior to the session
5. Oil is then continuously poured over the forehead as this area has a large number of nerve endings and therefore is highly sensitive. Vibrations are created on the forehead by the pressure of the oil. The oil penetrates into the nervous system after saturating the forehead and scalp. The oils used in this procedure improve blood circulation to the brain by opening all the channels. It also helps to reduce the level of stress hormones like adrenaline and can provide relief from anxiety and related disorders. The entire procedure enables the body, mind and nervous system to experience a state of deep rest, similar to the state a person arrives at after meditation.
Sessions last either 45min, 60min or 90min
(First session requires purchase of specialized oil to use ($25 ($45+tax retail price) – which you can take home and re-use in subsequent sessions)